Dr. Jeffrey Chung and associates provide oral cancer screenings as part of your regular dental exams. Oral cancers can usually be treated successfully when diagnosed early, but if they are not diagnosed and treated before the disease progresses into a more advanced stage, they can be much more difficult to successfully treat. We recommend that you receive an oral cancer screening at least once a year in order to ensure that this condition is diagnosed as early as possible.
Oral cancer includes cancers of the lips, tongue, cheeks, throat, sinuses, floor of the mouth, and hard and soft palates. Here are a few common signs of oral cancer:
- A persistent sore throat
- Feeling like something is caught at the back of the throat
- Unexplained bleeding in your mouth
- A persistent sore in your orofacial region that bleeds easily and does not heal within two weeks
- Ear pain
- Numbness, pain or loss of feeling in the face, neck or mouth
- Difficulty chewing, speaking or swallowing
- Changes in your bite or in the fit of your dentures (or other oral appliances)
- Red, white or speckled patches in the mouth
- Lumps, bumps or rough spots on your gums, lips or other areas of the mouth
We encourage you to be aware of your mouth and schedule an appointment if you notice any of the symptoms listed above or experience any other type of pain or discomfort. If you are diagnosed with oral cancer, our dentists will work with you and your medical physician to treat the condition.
To schedule an appointment at Serenity Dental of Spring and learn more about oral cancer screening in Spring, Texas, call Serenity Dental of Spring today at 281-825-5522.